Smooth Otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) Task Force
Meeting held during the IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group meeting in Korea, October 2007
Nicole Duplaix, Chair (USA); Dr S. A. Hussain (India)
Current problems reported by Task Force members and proposed actions:
- Identify ‘hot spots’ where LP is known to be declining. Develop updated distribution map.
- Identify areas of increasing habitat loss (mangrove destruction, wetland loss, pollution, dams)
- What otter protection measures exist in India and SE Asian countries? Is there any enforcement?
- Report LP concerns to CITES, government agencies and NGOs in your country
- Fur trade/trapping and smuggling. Pelts appear to be going to China. More data are needed.
- Genotype – is the genotype of LP homogeneous across its range?
- Change the Red Data Book listing from “vulnerable” to ??
- Promote breeding program of LP in captivity in Asian zoos.
- Export captive bred LP to key zoos in Europe and USA to expand captive breeding program.
- Develop web site with full LP bibliography in downloadable format to promote awareness
- Encourage and train students to study LP in the field, particularly in hot spot areas of concern.